Friday, July 20, 2012

Google Docs Fail

For the longest time, I've had a beef with Google Docs.  There's nothing that irritates me more than a a program whose default setting is Arial, font size 11.  Excuse you! I can't think of anything more idiotic than a default which is not the Times New Roman, font size 12 format, which is the most widely used font for school-related work.  Equally aggravating is the Calibri, font size 11 default for Word.  The two of them can both go to typography hell.  If they were physical manifestations, I wouldn't put it past myself to pummel the ink out of those fonts with a baseball bat, and then throw them into the lake right by the shoreline of my backyard and watch them sink into the murky depths.

I was doing some writing in Google Docs.  There appears to be no page jump feature, and for that matter, I had to manually add pages.  The copy paste feature is tedious.  In other words, I have actually discovered something more annoying than the newer versions of Word.  As impossible as it sounds, I have discovered something at least as horrendous as the ugly font.  Google Docs seems to enjoy randomly underlining words in red even if they are correct, or even before I've finished typing the damn word.  Today was the final straw: 


No, I did not mean that, Google Docs, nor is it correct to use the plural form of "human" when I have clearly marked it as singular.  You are officially On Notice for these atrocities.

4 comments:

  1. I actually like Arial and Calibri , but I can follow you in the fact that it indeed tries to spellcheck stupid shit

    mette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might like Arial more if it weren't for the fact that very nearly all schoolwork requires Times New Roman, 12 pt. On projects that don't matter, Arial is a great way to fill space to make it seem like you've done more than you actually have. Calibri, on the other hand, doesn't appeal to me at all.

      Delete
  2. at my school you can choose as long as it looks nice really so I usually use Arial really

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Powerpoints are basically my only time to go a little crazy with fonts. speaking of powerpoint, I recently discovered I still have my mock CD track list saved in my Docs. I should post that sometime.

      Delete